Thursday, December 6, 2012

The first two weeks post surgery

I am not sure I remember much about those two weeks. Thanks to the amount of drugs I was on I not only survived them but managed to provide comical relief along the way. Yes see I am a light weight when it comes to drugs. Were talking 30 minutes after I take benedryl I am out. No hope of staying awake no matter what I do. There is one thing I know most pain drugs make me do. CHAT!!! Yes I will chat about anything and everything. I guess I am just lucky that way. I would talk to my best friend who showed up faithfully every night to empty my drains. She would empty them and I would talk. Then she would just say "oh Dollie that's the drugs talking." I even called my mom and told her I needed to go. I had to get back to work because I was working at subway(for the record I don't work). Yes I found myself talking to people and itching a lot. No seriously itching we are talking uncontrollable itching. Thankfully everyone who came to visit me loves me enough to laugh at what I was saying and then just left without making me feel too crazy.

Week one was filled with those wretched drains. They were awful.... one side drained beautifully. The other side didn't drain really at all. It just kept getting bigger and bigger with fluid build up... luckily for me I went to see a resident after week one and he took them out. Freedom was amazing. No drains. Clothes were easier to wear. Showers were allowed. One of the most frustrating things was needed help. I am pretty independent. I like doing for others and taking care of others but to have to be taken care of was hard to accept. I needed help getting dressed. I needed help bathing. I needed help getting a cup to drink. I needed help opening medicine bottles. I needed help and padding to hold my toddler. So many things you never think about until you are put in that situation. I was more depressed about what I couldn't do than the loss of a body part.

I did get depressed mentally. Cancer was no longer looking over my shoulder. I was no longer obsessively feeling my breast. Of course I didn't have any but a huge weight had been lifted. Huge! At the two week appointments I got my first fill. I received 85 in one and 90 in the other. I said goodbye to some doctors. They were no longer apart of my team. I am now a plastics patient. The day we left Seattle to head back home I was pretty emotional. I was saying good my to my cancer fight before I even had to fight. I was saying goodbye to the broken hearted  girl who tested positive and hello to the survivor. I was saying hello to the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment